Thursday, March 19, 2009

Process of Creating.

Since I haven't really talked about my process in creating my drawings, I thought it be a good idea.
To begin, I need a project, which for this instance, were portraits of certain individuals. Since I don't know half of them, and is impossible to round all these people up to meet and take their photo, I chose an easier process: Facebook. Facebook is a networking website, which allows me to get in contact with these people and find different photos of them. I read a bit about them and look at the photos they have displayed in their profile. From that I grasp who they are, and use common traits/artifacts of them and apply them in the portrait.
For drawing, I usually start off using a regular pencil (not a mechanical pencil- they create sharp edges, and aren't as flexible to work with). It usually takes a couple tries, but after erasing and re-drawing, you get what you're aiming for. Once confident enough, I want to make it permanent. Because pencil smudges and makes a mess, it doesn't keep your drawings at the best of qualities. You can usually buy a spray to coat your pencil or charcoal drawings with, but since this will be in the paper, and pencil has a very dull pigment, I thought it would be best to go over it with something black. I'm careful not to apply too much pressure, and once working with a line, I try to be continuous. By this I mean, once I start a line I don't want to suddenly stop because if I stop than start from where I left off, you can usually see it. Once this is all done, I allow the ink to dry, for a minute than erase my pencil lines.
And that is my process in which I do my sketches. Many artist chose to do it differently, but go with what you're comfortable with. There is no right or wrong.

No comments:

Post a Comment